Theatr na nÓg & Judith Winnan, BBC Cymru Wales
The Arts Organisation
Neath based Theatr na nÓg was established in 1982 to produce theatre for a range of audiences throughout Wales in both English and Welsh. Geinor Styles joined in 1998 as its Artistic Director.
The Development Need
Theatr na nÓg was at a pivotal point in its development as it planned to produce a new musical based on the early career of Tom Jones. Geinor wished to develop her confidence in networking and negotiating with producers on a commercial level.
Judith Winnan, Head of Factual & Music at BBC Cymru Wales
The Development Need
Judith wished to broaden her experience of the arts world and understand how a small organisation operates. Having worked exclusively in television during her career, she wanted to give something back while developing her coaching skills and creative thinking.
• Confidence to develop relationships and negotiate with commercial partners without jeopardising the artistic integrity of Theatr na nÓg’s work
• A supporter’s evening arranged with Judith’s guidance resulted in £750K of investment for the production, and a successful UK tour of the production
• Confidence in her own and the organisation’s ability to deliver a new artistic product, contributing to the organisation’s financial sustainability and expanding its potential
• Greater understanding of the operations of a small charity and issues faced by the creative sector in Wales
• Insight into the funding landscape at a time where broadcasting was under pressue to diversify its revenue streams
• Personal satisfaction in having been able to give something back to the creative community
Working with Judith was inspirational and a complete game changer. Her kindness and honesty enabled me to negotiate with integrity and for me to have confidence not only in myself, but in our production. We have been able to produce Tom on a commercial platform thanks to the confidence which has been instilled by my discussions with Judith. She steered me not only to gain investment from producers and promoters, but also to successfully negotiate a run in the West End.
Geinor Styles, Theatr na nÓg
Working with Geinor has broadened my knowledge and understanding of the complex funding issues faced by producers. I’ve learnt a lot about navigating complex funding landscapes, which will be beneficial to me as the BBC increasingly has to diversify its revenue streams. I have found it hugely gratifying to support Geinor as she embarked on this project and having wanted to “give something back” through the process, I feel I have achieved that. She’s a remarkable individual and I consider it a privilege to have been working with her.
Judith Winnan, BBC Cymru Wales