Motion Control Dance & Siobhan Saunders, Barclays Partner Finance
The Arts Organisation
Motion Control Dance (MCD) teaches hundreds of people of all ages each year to dance, enriching lives while tackling social isolation and change.
The Development Need
To broaden the Board’s expertise in finance, and gain a fresh perspective from someone new to the organisation.
Siobhan Saunders, Senior Finance Business Partner, Barclays Partner Finance
The Development Need
Siobhan wanted to develop her knowledge of the arts and gain governance experience, while offering her financial skills and guidance to help an organisation develop.
For Motion Control Dance
- The introduction of quarterly KPI reporting, enabling the other trustees to focus on specific performance metrics, monitoring progress and providing more insight into the organisation’s activities
- Provided a robust, independent review of the financial statements, identifying improvements and implementing best practice.
- Shared best practice for trustees having attended a training course and drew attention to roles and responsibilities.
- During the COVID-19 crisis, supported the creation of a detailed cash-flow, highlighting actions needed, discussed opportunities and reviewed grant applications to ensure continuity of the charity’s work
- A much broader view of how an organisation outside the finance world operates
- Increased insight into the challenges faced by small arts organisations and the charity sector, complementing her other voluntary commitments
- Increased professional network with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
Siobhan’s contribution is always very clear and to the point, providing suggested changes in a way which has been welcomed in our board meetings. She has introduced new systems that focus on the outcomes of what the charity is producing, especially with regards to our financial targets, and reporting on KPIs has helped us to identify and celebrate successes as well as areas for improvement.
Emma Mallam, Motion Control Dance