National Dance Company Wales & Giovanni Basiletti, Burges Salmon LLP
The Arts Organisation
National Dance Company Wales (NDCW) creates ambitious, engaging dance work, taking Wales to the world and reflecting the world in Wales.
The Development Need
To improve the level of legal expertise on the Board and engage with the business leaders of tomorrow.
Giovanni Basiletti, Solicitor, Burges Salmon LLP
The Development Need
Giovanni wished to deepen his understanding of the charitable sector and decision-making at Board level, while developing his business acumen and commercial awareness, and extending his professional network
• Increased confidence in dealings with the organisation’s lawyers, as a result of Gio’s support and advice, resulting in positive outcomes, especially in relation to property leases
• Vital legal input to key decisions, particularly while dealing with Covid-19 and the impact on the orgnisation’s operation, supporting leaders in discussions and decision-making
• Major contributions to budget and risk management debates
• A passionate and committed trustee who engages with all aspects of NDCW’s work and advocates by attending sector-specific and fundraising events
• Highly developed communication and presentation skills through active participation in Board discussions
• Exposure to new experiences as a direct result of his Board membership, including sitting on interview panels
• Increased commercial awareness and understanding of the potential problems his clients might face, adding value to his work as a solicitor
• Developed business management and financial skills through his membership of NDCW’s Finance & General Purposes sub-committee and ongoing mentoriship from its Chair
Gio is undoubtedly passionate about NDCWales’ work and dance in general. He approaches his role with great enthusiasm and dedication, is highly professional and takes his role as trustee seriously. He is a collaborative and open minded member of the board, respectful of alternative views whilst always acting with the independence, honesty and integrity expected of a charity trustee. Gio is supportive and generous with his time, willing to provide his advice and expertise to the Company outside of scheduled board meetings. We’ve gained confidence as a result of Gio’s support and advice, and he has contributed strongly to the stability of the organisation.
Paul Kaynes, Chief Executive, NDCWales
I consider myself fortunate to have benefitted from the guidance, support and insight I’ve received from my peers on the Board, my Board mentor and the Company’s executive team. I’ve gained extensive exposure to the challenges facing arts organisations and the wider business community in Wales, having the opportunity to contribute to strategic board discussions in a range of areas. As a result, I’ve increased my commercial awareness and understanding of the potential problems clients might be facing (not just legal), adding value to my work as a solicitor.
Giovanni Basiletti, Burges Salmon LLP